Cheesy, Oozy Guacamole Bean Dip
Contributed by Alicia Silverstone, author of The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet.
This dip is quick, easy, and delicious — the perfect thing to bring to a party. Make it in a glass dish to display all the pretty layers. Great for meat-eating friends.
Photo by Victoria Pearson.
- • 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- • 3 large avocados
- • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- • 2 (8-ounce) containers nondairy sour cream
- • 1 packet taco seasoning (I use Bearitos, but if you are avoiding all white sugar, make your own mix with chili powder, ground cumin, onion powder, hot paprika or cayenne, and salt)
- • 1/2 cup diced mild green chiles, drained
- • 1/2 cup sliced black olives, or more if you like
- • 5 tomatoes, chopped
- • 2 cups shredded vegan Cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spread a layer of refried beans in the bottom of an 8 inch by 8 inch quart glass baking dish.
Pit and peel the avocados, and place in a bowl. Mash the avocados together with the lime juice, and spread on top of the refried beans.
Stir together the sour cream and taco seasoning, and spread over the avocado.
Sprinkle the chiles over the sour cream, and top with a layer of black olives.
Add the tomatoes, and sprinkle with the cheese.
Heat the dip for 15-30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is a bit melted.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Reprinted with permission from The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet by Alicia Silverstone, © 2009.