Build Your Own Bean Burger
*Center Staff Member Recipe from Sarah Baillie: Sarah is a Population and Sustainability Program Intern.
- 1 large can of beans of your choice, drained and mashed
- 1/2 large white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3-1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons warm water (you can also use other plant-based eggless binders like chia seeds, agar agar, cornstarch, tapioca starch, and arrowroot powder with warm water)
- Salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste (try cumin, chipotle, and oregano)
Once the beans are drained and mashed, mix them with all the other ingredients and form the resulting conglomeration into whatever size patties you want — and then and grill away!
The patties can get a little crumbly, so you might want to put some foil on your grill.
Add condiments and grilled veggies to spice up your burger.