Lazy Healthy Yummy Bowl
* Center Staff Member Original Recipe from Melissa Amarello: Melissa provides communications support and manages social media for the Population and Sustainability program as their Communications Associate.
- 1 cup brown rice (or your favorite grain)
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, optional
- 1 can of beans, rinsed & drained (any type of beans works here: black, pinto , garbanzo, etc.)
- 1 bunch of kale (or your favorite green: spinach, arugula, dandelion)
- Sauce of your choice: you can find lots of good ideas for different sauces here
Cook your grain according to package instructions
Sauté onion in a frying pan over medium heat with enough water to keep from sticking. Once onion is translucent, add garlic and soy sauce, if using, then add beans and simmer until beans are hot.
Remove kale leaves from the stems and slice leaves into bite size pieces. Add kale to frying pan and sauté until just wilted. Remove from kale and bean mixture from heat.
To assemble your bowl: layer your grain, the kale and bean mix, and the sauce of your choice. Then enjoy!
Photo courtesy of Melissa Amarello.