Raw Kale Slaw
Contributed by Dianne Wenz, of Dianne’s Vegan Kitchen.
I’m a big lover of slaws. I love mixing crisp, fresh veggies together with creamy dressings and serving them with sandwiches and grilled veggie burgers in the summer. If you’re bunch of kale is on the smaller side, this recipe might give you too much mayo, so save it and use it as a dressing for sandwiches.
- •1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours or more
- • 1/4 cup water
- • 1/4 cup lemon juice
- • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- • 1 garlic clove
- • 1 large bunch of kale, shredded or cut chiffonade style
- • 2 carrots, shredded or julienned
- • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a high-speed blender, mix together the cashews, water, lemon juice, salt and garlic until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Mix together the kale and carrots in a large bowl. Add the cashew dressing and mix until the vegetables are thoroughly coated. Sprinkle the slaw with the sesame seeds.
- Refrigerate for an hour or two let the flavors mix.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Reprinted with permission from Dianne Wenz, CHHC, VLC, Vegan Health and Lifestyle Coach, Dianne’s Vegan Kitchen.