Protein-rich Power Bowl
*Center Staff Member Recipe from Jennifer Molidor: Jennifer is the Senior Food Campaigner with the Center’s Population and Sustainability Program.
- 1 large sweet potato (per serving)
- 1 cup shredded kale or 2 cups spinach (per serving)
- 5 asparagus stalks (per serving)
- 1/2 avocado (per serving)
- 1 cup quinoa (per serving)
- 1-2 tablespoons tahini (for dressing)
- 1/2 clove garlic (for dressing)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (for dressing)
- 1 tablespoon warm water (for dressing)
- 1 dash of parsley (for pressing)
- Salt to taste
In a small pot, heat 2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa, lower heat, and add lid to pot; let simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bake or steam (or microwave) sweet potato until just soft. Remove from heat and let it continue to cook in a covered container. Sauté, broil, steam or bake asparagus stalks until they begin to sweat. Do not overcook. Steam kale (or spinach) and salt to taste (add a dash of lemon pepper or lemon juice—optional). Cut an avocado in half, then lightly (partially) slice it into chunks while it’s still in its peel, then scoop out its flesh. When quinoa is done, make tahini dressing: Stir 1–2 tablespoons tahini with garlic, lemon juice, water, parsley and salt to taste (some people blend or purée, but stirring vigorously should be fine). Make sure water is drained from quinoa and that the quinoa is fluffy.
Fill one half of a serving bowl with quinoa, one quarter with sweet potato and one quarter with a mixure of avocado and green veggies. Drizzle tahini sauce on top and serve.
Photo courtesy of Jennifer Molidor.