Chickpea o’ the Sea
Contributed by Zack Marker, author of Stuff on Toast. View his beautiful photos and more delicious plant-based (and toast-based) recipes here.
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked/drained chickpeas (approximately one 15 oz. can)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (a lot of options out there these days, or make your own!)
- 1 tablespoon mustard (yellow, Dijon, choose your favorite)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (or some other acidic substitute, such as lemon juice, rice vinegar, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon seaweed flakes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1-2 dill pickles, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast, obviously
- Sandwich toppings: mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, onions (whatever you like on a sandwich, really)
Mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or fork, or pulse in a food processor 2-3 times until roughly chopped (you don't want to completely obliterate them, but you also don't want too many whole beans, either).
Add the mayo, mustard, vinegar, seaweed, celery and pickles and stir until thoroughly mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can add more of the previous ingredients (mayo, mustard, vinegar, etc) to taste at this point as well.
Serve on toasted bread with your favorite sandwich toppings.
Photo courtesy of Zack Marker, Stuff on Toast.