Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
*Center Staff Member Original Recipe from John P. Rose: J.P. is a staff attorney and works in the Center's Urban Wildlands Program.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon pureed or chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons cayenne pepper (recommended, but optional)
- 1/2 bunch of Italian parsley, chopped (excluding stems)
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lemon
- 2 12 ounce cans of chickpeas, drained
Dice onion and cut eggplant and zucchini into cubes. Place 1/4 cup olive oil in large pot and set on medium heat. Place garlic, diced onion into the large pot. Keep on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion begins to soften. Add in the cubed eggplant, zucchini and the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil.
Add in 1/4 cup red wine, black pepper, salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Stir. Add in canned tomatoes, vegetable broth, and another 1/4 cup red wine. Stir and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add in chopped parsley and chickpeas. Let simmer on low to medium heat for at least 20 minutes. Adjust spices to taste. Serve with quinoa or brown rice.
Photo courtesy of J.P. Rose.