Summer Grilled Tofu
* Center Staff Member Original Recipe from Tanya Sanerib: Tanya is a senior attorney with the Center’s Endangered Species Program.
- 1/2 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar or sherry
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs (oregano, thyme, savory, basil, etc. all work) (if you are using dried herbs then decrease the total quantity by about half)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large block extra-firm tofu
Make the vinaigrette: Purée all vinaigrette ingredients (all ingredients except for the tofu) in a blender or food processor. Pour into an airtight container.
Chop tofu into squares. Add tofu to the airtight container and gently shake to coat tofu with vinaigrette. Allow the tofu to marinate for at least 30 minutes, rotating once.
Skewer the tofu pieces for grilling. Oil your grill well and place skewers on grill. Cook until tofu is desired browness. Un-skewer tofu and mix with remaining vinaigrette and serve.
Photo courtesy of saiberiac, Flickr.