Wolf-friendly shiitake mushroom and tofu soup
Contributed by Amaroq Weiss, West Coast wolf advocate at the Center. Amaroq is an attorney, biologist and campaign organizer.
Serves 4; takes 30 minutes.
- 4 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 package (18 oz.) firm tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup stemmed and slices fresh shitake mushrooms
- 1 quart Non-chik’n broth (use any vegetarian broth or bouillon flavored to taste like chicken broth; regular vegetable broth doesn’t cut it)
- 2 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
Cook rice noodles per package directions; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add tofu; cook until browned (2-5 minutes). Add garlic and ginger and cook about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, broth and cabbage and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in reserved noodles. Add soy sauce. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cilantro and onions.
Photo courtesy of Valeria Aksakova.