Baked Tofu With Orange Sauce and Broccoli
* Center Staff Member Original Recipe from Saskia Comess: Saskia is the Population and Sustainability Program Intern with the Take Extinction Off Your Plate Campaign.
For the marinade
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- sriracha, to desired spiciness
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons marinade plus 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
For the tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- corn starch
For the vegetables
- 2 tablespoons marinade plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large head broccoli
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5 mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- ground black pepper and soy sauce, to taste
- peanuts, coarsely chopped
Make the marinade: Mix all ingredients together in an airtight container.
Marinate the tofu: Drain and rinse tofu. Wrap in paper towel, and then press water out by sandwiching the tofu between two plates and placing a heavy weight on top. Leave for about 30 minutes and up to an hour. Unwrap the tofu and pat dry. Cut into about 32 cubes. Place all tofu cubes in airtight container with marinade. Shake to coat the tofu pieces. Refrigerate for at least one hour and up to four.
To bake the tofu: Heat the oven to 375°F. Remove tofu from marinade and brush off large chunks of garlic/ginger; save the marinade. You will use it later. Place tofu pieces on baking sheet and lightly dust with cornstarch. Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through, until browned and puffy.
Prepare the sauce: Take 2 tablespoons of remaining marinade (including ginger and garlic chunks) and heat with an additional tablespoon sesame oil in sauce pan. Add red pepper flakes. Cook on medium heat about 5 minutes or until garlic and ginger are fragrant. Add all other ingredients except cornstarch. Cook on medium heat. In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with about 1 tablespoon warm water to form a paste. Pour into sauce and stir. Bring sauce to simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
Prepare the vegetables: Heat remaining marinade plus 1 tablespoon olive oil in large frying pan. Add onion and cook until translucent (4 minutes on medium heat). Add broccoli, bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook vegetables about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup chopped peanuts and remove from heat.
Serve tofu, vegetables and sauce over rice. Garnish with additional chopped peanuts and sesame seeds.
This recipe is available as a downloadable PDF here.
Photo courtesy of Saskia Comess.