“All the Veggies” Stew
* Center Staff Member Original Recipe from Leigh Moyer: Leigh is an organizer with the Population and Sustainability program. She develops and runs campaigns to draw attention to and prevent wildlife and habitat loss due to unsustainable human population growth and overconsumption.
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (include liquid from cans)
- 2 cans quartered artichoke hearts (drain liquid)
- 4 large zucchinis, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 5 cups small brown mushrooms
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 8 ounces of kale
- 1 can black olives (drain liquid)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons liquid smoke (any flavor) to taste
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (or more, to taste)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons plant-based mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Start by breaking or cutting up the cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Lay the pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and spray with cooking oil. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 400 degrees or until the cauliflower pieces are soft and starting to brown.
In the largest pot you have, add the tomatoes, artichoke hearts and cut-up zucchini and bring it all to a boil to help soften the zucchini. (If you’re in a hurry, you can pre-steam the zucchini to make the meal a little faster.) Keep this pot at a simmer.
In a large pan, sauté the mushrooms with a little olive oil until they’re soft and browned; add them to your simmering pot. Then, without washing the pan, use it to sauté the diced onion pieces until they’re translucent, aromatic and just starting to brown. Add the onions to the pot.
Add the kale to the pot, a little bit at time, until it cooks down. Mix in the roasted cauliflower pieces and black olives. Add ketchup, liquid smoke and garlic. Mix well. Add hot sauce to taste. Simmer for a few more minutes or until the zucchini is as soft as desired.
Turn off the heat and enjoy! (Serve over rice or another grain of choice — or on its own.)
Photo courtesy of Leigh Moyer.